Pages

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey | Week 3

The Post Wars (1951 - 1999)
Day 4 - Perms & Lycra (The 1980's)

Activity 1 | Hairy Maclary  

One of the most famous children’s stories to ever come out of New Zealand, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, was written by a kiwi woman named Lynley Dodd. The book was originally published in 1983. It is now sold in dozens of countries around the world. It features a small dog named Hairy.

On your blog, use the following sentence starter from the original book to finish the story.

“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”

To earn full points, your story should have, at least, 8-10 sentences.

Hairy Maclary

Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, into the world where he had many inquires. "Look! Flowers I wonder what kind, I wonder what other things I can find." Lamp posts, bikes and people all around, hey! It looks like I just made it into town. "I wonder what other things I can find, let's take a look into this shop; I hope they don't mind." Wow! There are books so big they could be the same size as me! And inside are stories as long as the sea. I read the whole thing! It took me awhile, but I can tell you one thing at the end it did make me smile. So, I walked back home, back to Donaldson's Diary, where I had just finished my journey of inquiries.


Activity 2 | The Big "OE"

In the 1980s it became increasingly common for students to graduate from high school and take a year off to travel and experience the world. This year was often referred to as the ‘Big OE’ or ‘Big Overseas Experience.’ A number of kiwis headed to places like Australia and England to live and work before returning to New Zealand to finish their studies.


Imagine that you are a student in the 1980s and you’re about to graduate from high school. Where would you like to go on your big OE? On your blog tell us which country you would visit and give us three (3) reasons for your choice. Find some pictures on the internet of things that you would like to see and do in this country.

I’d love to go to Switzerland and spend lots of time in the mountains, learning how to ski!

|| Brazil ||

> Christ the Redeemer | One of the most Iconic places in Brazil is the statue of Christ the Redeemer which I would love to go and visit. As a member of a church, I think it would be a very special and mesmerising event for me.

> Maracana | Since Brazil is well known for playing soccer, I would love to see one of their games. I have never seen a game, let alone watched one on Tv but I think it would be wonderful watching a soccer game in person.

> Ipanema | To end the day, I would love to go to one of their famous and fashionably beaches. Coming here when the sun is setting would be very beautiful, and would hold a memory in my mind forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment