Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 1


In the beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 3 - It's all in the family

Activity 1 | The More, the merrier?

In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of
seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family?
Why or why not?

Being in a big Family | My Thoughts
I  would not want  to  be in a big family because their would be  too much noise and their would be
a lot of  mess and they won’t be able to talk to other  people if  there's   a lot of  noise.
Activity 2 | Acknowledging Ancestry

All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families
. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a
pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many
different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and
where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your
own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

My Pepeha
Ko Mt Wellington te maunga. The mountain that I affiliate to is…
Ko Tamaki River estuary te awa. The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ? tōku tīpuna. The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Laufa tōku iwi. My founding ancestor is…
Ko Patai tōku hapū.  My tribe is…
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.

Ko Mt Wellington te maunga. The mountain that I affiliate to is…
Ko Tamaki River te awa. The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko Te ? Waka. The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Laufa tōku iwi. My founding ancestor is…
Ko Patai tōku hapū.  My tribe is…
Ko Timu tōku hapū. My sub tribe is...
Ko ? tōku marae. My marae is...
Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau. I am from…
Ko  Rachel rāua, My parents are … and …
Ko Mei tōku ingoa. My name is …




Bonus Activity | Fun Family Facts




Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you
\and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

My Sister:

- "I love going out to places like the and get some Ice-cream."
- "I also like to play water games outside since it has been hot."

My Brother:

- "I love going to the pool when it's hot."
- "I also love to sit inside .and watch movies.

My Cousin

- "I like to play rugby with my cousins"
- "I love sleeping at my cousins house

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mei,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you for the Summer Learning Journey.

    You have been making great progress with these activities! Well done!

    I wonder how big your family is? I have 3 siblings and I think that is enough for me! It is already so loud that I think it would be too loud if there any more of us.

    Good job with your pepeha! It sounds as though you may have written a pepeha before. Can you tell me a bit more about your ancestor? I would love to have some more information about them!

    Your family has some great summer ideas! I like ice cream in summer too, just like your sister. A fun fact about my sister is that she uses acorns to dye fabric. Can you think of a fun fact for your sister?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mei
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    What a wonderful family you have they sound so sporty.
    What is your favourite sport?

    ReplyDelete