Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

In the Beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 1 - Arriving in New Zealand

Activity 1 | The first Settlers

It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.

Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

Maui | Three interesting facts

- Maui owns a fishhook that is made out of a jawbone his ancestor, Murirangawhenua gave him which he then tied to some flax.

- While Maui was fishing, the canoe he was in with his brothers is now known as the south Island of New Zealand, and the fish he caught with his hook is the north Island.

- Whenever Maui says his old karakia, it always helps him in difficult situations.

Activity 2 | Setting Sail

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…
My letter to my friend

Dear Claudia
I will be going to New Zealand, a new Continent we have just found! I was excited when they asked me to join them on their voyage, but whenever I think about it, I just feel so anxious. I mean, I don't know what to except!
From,Mei


3 comments:

  1. Hi there Mei, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey. I am really looking forward to blogging with you this summer.

    Thanks for making a great start with your activities. I like the facts you have chosen to include, especially the second fact about the South Island being the waka and the North Island as the fish, because when you look at the shape of the North Island it actually looks like a fish!

    Have you ever been fishing?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Mei, you have made a great start to your letter to Claudia. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about what the journey was like? Think about the weather, the waves, the fish, the sharks, the food etc.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mei
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    You have made a terrific start to this program you are amazing. What is your favourite part about maui and his brothers?

    ReplyDelete